Swastika Laundry

The Town and its People past and present...

Postby grammer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:20 pm

hi Chiro great info there
grammer

Swastika Lundry

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:26 pm

The Swastika shown on the red van is NOT supposed to be the German one which was angled. The one shown was I believe a Swedish one though I could be wrong about that.There were none of these vans in DunLaoghaire in my time .
Chiropodist

Postby KellyKid » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:17 pm

To the best of my knowledge the swastika was originally a symbol of good luck used in India. The laundry was established long before the symbol was hi-jacked by the nazis. I have heard that the founders missus had recently bought an ornamental black cat which had a swastika hung around its neck and that was why he used this symbol. Many buildings, modes of transport and machinery are still adorned with this symbol there but I believe the orientation of the arms is different. I was in Japan a couple of years ago and one of the Buddhist temples we visited in Tokyo was covered in paper lanterns sporting large swastikas.
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.
KellyKid
Stellar Member

Postby jordo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:02 pm

Great stuff KK, welcome back :D
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
jordo
Skies are Blue

Postby Kite » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:25 pm

The Finnish Air Force during WW2 and during the Winter War (against the Soviets in 1940) had a blue swastika on a white background (oriented at 45 degrees compared to the Nazi one) as the national insignia on their aircraft.
Kite

Postby skins » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Lily Molloy from O'Donnell Gardens worked in the Swastika for many years also, she's the only one of the staff I can remember.

Talking about the people who lost out with Shanahans; did the Revo not have Joey's club funds invested with them?

Skins
skins

Postby grammer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:07 pm

brilliant info -yis are a mine of info - :D :D

skins wrote
Talking about the people who lost out with Shanahans; did the Revo not have Joey's club funds invested with them?

:D :D :D was that true ??
grammer

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Spud,

The Sawatika over the shop it of the style as used by Germany 1933-45, i.e., at a 45% angle .
The one on the van was painted on for the movie and I think it was how they were on the vehicles only..
.The Swastika originates from the Hindu culturein India and thus very ancient.
Some of the Roman Legion used the SWASTIKA during thier Roman conquests of trhe World.
Incidently the Finnish Air Force carried it on their warplanes and miliatary for a time when they were involved in the early stages of World War II.
That all changed when they fell out with Hitler !!!
Enviro500
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Thomastown » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:50 pm

[quote="Enviro500"]Spud,

The Sawatika over the shop it of the style as used by Germany 1933-45, i.e., at a 45% angle .
The one on the van was painted on for the movie and I think it was how they were on the vehicles only..
.The Swastika originates from the Hindu culturein India and thus very ancient.
]Image
That makes sense Enviro. Here is a cover of a book (The Five Nations By Rudyard Kipling) Published 1903 showing a Swastika with an Elephants Head which connects the Swastika with India.
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:05 am

Thomastown,

Very perceptive of you and a good choice of book, Though a great writer Kipling was a War monger. He used his influence to get his son into the forces in WW I despite the lad having failed test because of eyesight itf my memory serves me. twice rejected the the old man gets him in...only to see the lad killed in action in France...Fr Brown the great photographer served as a W W I chaplin in France and Belgium and he took some nice pictures of Kipling the old man during WW I possibly in the U.K.
Enviro500
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Monkstowngirl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:43 am

Wow...I haven't even THOUGHT of Swastika Laundry in probably 40 years and I NEVER made any connections to the German version, as a child!!

Seems to me there was one in Blackrock...does that sound right to anyone?

I don't recognise the laundry building that was posted, but I DO remember Galligan...I found him to be nice....and treated me a damn sight better than the medical/dental clinic in D/L!! (Definitely NOT the place to go if you chipped a tooth on a Boland's bicky!! :P )

Great history though, yet again, you guys!!!!
Monkstowngirl
Resident Poetess

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:59 am

Skins.

Did Lily Molloy speak with a "Jeermin Accent", as the Scousers would say,

Douggie Brown from the Comedians... and was Lily;s bos a guy with a funny moustaches and hair cpmbed to the side...?
Enviro500
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:48 am

envirowrote
Did Lily Molloy speak with a "Jeermin Accent", as the Scousers would say,

Douggie Brown from the Comedians... and was Lily;s bos a guy with a funny moustaches and hair cpmbed to the side...?

hahahahahahaaaa-
guess wht my ma or grannie didnt workl there :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer

Swastika Laundry

Postby Chiropodist » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Our wage at the D/L shop was a measley nine shilings for a seven day week so I applied for an extra shilling to match most of the average wage in D/L at that time. The manager came from Ballsbridge to see me and I got the rise but I expect that there was a board meeting to grant it. ! The shop shown in that photo is definetley,not the D/L one. To the left on that doorway there should be a Swastika on a white background and the frontage was NOT in red unless everything was changed after I left D /L in 1940.
Chiropodist

Postby spudseamus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 pm

i seem to remember the Swastika that is used in other parts of the world used in reverse ? or is dat auldtimers kickin in lol
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:20 am

I took this today. Same building alright.

I am a Southside Pessimistic Optomist.
Strum
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:19 am

Strum,
Remind me where that Swastika laundry is Thanks mate.
Enviro500
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:16 pm

Opposite the Post Office or what was the old Courthouse. Three doors up from the laneway. (at Mc Death's)
I am a Southside Pessimistic Optomist.
Strum
Administrator
Administrator

Swastika Laundry

Postby Chiropodist » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:05 pm

There was a chap who had a bike repairing business in the lane which seperates Patrick St. fom Convent Road. His name was John Taffe and his parents lived at Eden Villas at the time while he lived on a terrace at the top of Alma Road Blackrock. We took our bikes to him for repairs. punctures, etc. You could always buy a good second hand bike from him too very cheap.
Chiropodist

Swastika Laundry

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:31 pm

When I mentioned about applying for a rise in wages at the Swastika Laundry, I forgot to mention that they also had a neat little dodge to meet the wages bill. Every parcel of washing which came back from Ballsbridge carried a bill on it . There was an addition which read, Add approx. one penny to the shilling which meant that for every shilling on the bill an extra penny had to be found. a five shilling bill would therefore become Five shillings and five pence. A kind of tax you could say. Bells, the dry cleaners,didnt do this.
Chiropodist

Swastila Laundry

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Grammer
I think you are referring to Stan Boardman the scouse on the Comedians who used the word Geermins. Duggie Brown was the Doncaster man who was also a great comedian.
Chiropodist

Swastika Laundry

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:42 pm

I have a wing torn from a Luftwaffe jacket. It is likethe RAF one but carries the Swastiks symbol on the bottom. Its the ony ting I have kept rom my collection of German badges and things.
Chiropodist

Swastika Laundry

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:45 pm

Skins.
Was that Lily Malloy related in any way to a school mate of mine called "Gillar" Malloy who lived at No 17 Patricks Street.
Chiropodist

Re: Swastika Laundry

Postby skins » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Chiropodist wrote:Skins.
Was that Lily Malloy related in any way to a school mate of mine called "Gillar" Malloy who lived at No 17 Patricks Street.

Not to my knowledge, Chiro. I think they originally came to O'Donnell Gardens from Dalkey. My mother's sister was married to one of them (Eddy).

Skins
skins

Swastika Laundry

Postby Chiropodist » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:11 pm

If I remember rightly, Duggie Brown was said to be the brother of Annie the Emmerdale star who played the mother of the Sugdens in the soap. His joke on the telephone call was one of the funiest I have ever heard and I believe he came from Doncaster. There was another one called Johnnie Hackett whom I met in Benidorm where he owned a bar club. He sadly,died two years ago but he was a great turn. There was an Irish comedian who came on stage wearing a pair of wellingtons,one marked R and the other L. He appeared on a charity show at the Benidorm Palace but there were not enough tickets sold so after he was paid about £450 there was nothing lef for the charity ! He was a lousy turn anyway.
Chiropodist

PreviousNext

Return to DUN LAOGHAIRE